Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 5 Years ago  
Most who participate here on the forum know I am diabetic, type 2. Noninsulin. Not yet anyways.

I'll admit I have NOT been a very good boy, I had all my numbers down and came off the meds within 4 months of the beginning (Dec of 2012) of treatment, and soon got sloppy.

Numbers are back up, yet the weight is still the same as when I 'quit'. Diagnosed at 243 lbs (at 5' 10" that ain't good folks), I got down to 210 and have, somehow, stayed there over the last couple of years. Few months back I began to 'feel' the symptoms again, maybe due to depression and stress, maybe and definitely partly due to not eating right and not exercising as I had been. IOW - sittin on my butt too much.

Simply put, Poker is NOT a sport even if it is on ESPN, and playing guitar is not the same as playing a game like soccer or baseball.

Some thoughts;

Diabetes, from my knowledge, is CHRONIC> Yes, treatment can make the symptoms 'disappear' and not need meds, it's still there though, lurking. Waiting for you to screw up again.

Diabetes is not 'controllable' - not by my definition, it controls me. Yep, It controls me, always will. Tells me what to eat, how much of that to eat, and when to eat. Nor does it allow me to 'vacation' without some sort of exercise which elevates the heart rate for a certain amount of time and how high that rate need be.

Diabetes is 'treatable' if, and only if, you stick to the plan. Hard to not want that foolish third slice of Pizza, even the first one can be foolish yet.....

So, I usually walk, up to 4 miles in the morning. No excuse for 'it's raining' or 'it's cold', none.
We are lucky enough to have a designated bedroom which serves us as an exercise room. Treadmill, bad ass elliptical, weights, bench, etc.
Swimming pool in the back yard.
I was a 'high school' athlete, football, swimming, even tried a bit of Rodeo. I hate weight rooms, hate 'em.

Last thought - it is not about the weight, or even keeping the weight off. Its more than that. Its a big change in lifestyle, one I am going to get back too, have no real choice. Life or death kind of thing.

I know there are other diabetics here, and I know there are several MDs on the site and who participate on the Forum.

Any and all suggestions, thoughts, help will be more than appreciated.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2015/07/10 10:15 By wiley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 5 Years ago  
Now to get to the 'other' point.

Wednesday was our 'bi-annual' check up. Donna and I are lucky in many ways, one of which is to have the type of insurance and enough money to go above that 'normal' annual check up type of thing. We see an MD who is part owner of "Executive Medicine" and "Health Care Associates". His specialty is in 'Longevity Medicine'.
This particular 'check up' takes a good 4 hours, several different test and exams.
Hearing, Eye sight, stress test, blood flow ( by ultrasound) in different parts of the body, elasticity, upper body strength, and an 85+ point blood exam that looks at even the levels of certain amino acids and vitamins.

Every 6 years, a complete body CT/MRI scan is done. Few years back they found a large 'baseball' sized tumor growing in me, attached to my left adrenal gland. Never knew it was there, never would have under normal check ups. Anyone who can afford this (usually $600 to $1,200) I highly suggest you do it. Think of it this way, that same $$ amount wont even buy a good 'mid' level guitar!

One of the items we are trying is a "Diet" plan. Both of us need to drop weight. So, my yell out to the folks here is this -

A - Diet - 1000 calories daily, very very few carbs so, kind of 'drastic' diabetic diet. Honestly, most of the word of mouth and research done suggest a 500 calorie a day diet - our Doctor laughs at this, not the dieting or other parts itself, just that 500 calories a day is pretty much unsustainable for any length of time.

B - Exercise - of course, get the heart rate up and keep it there. 30 minutes 'continuous' is 'sustain' and 45 minutes (which is where we need be) is working towards becoming fit. Three layers, of course, pulmonary/vascular, breathing, and strength.

C - Dietary Supplements. Controversial at best, most over the counter supplements have not been FDA 'approved' and most not even looked at by a third party testing lab. Good, high pharmaceutical quality supplements are out there, expensive and hard to find but they are there. I use several and anyone who wants some info can e-mail me.
Two biggest ones our MD recommends everyone take -
Omega-3, aka Fish oil. Easy enough and honestly, cheap if you work it right. Get a script from your MD for "Lovaza" which is pharmaceutical grade omega-3 (fish oil). I get a 90 day supply, mail order, for less than you can go to your corner Walgreens and get an unreliable over the counter bottle which last 30 days.
Resveratrol - Expensive for the high grade stuff, the 'normal' over the counter ones are usually junk.

Once again, I intend for this to be a 'discussion' type post. Any and all suggestions, advice, experiences will be more than helpful.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/10 10:18 By wiley.

Can I suggest you check this video, a documentary by Dr Michael Mosley, The Truth About Exercise.
I do the 3 minute routine and its very doable once you get used to it. Highly recommend it. The reduction of some of the critical markers for health is crucial, in this case the insulin markers/levels after exercise.

vimeo.com/51836895

Chris
neverfoundthetime
Life's a long song
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
"I'll know my songs well before I start singin'." -Bob Dylan, Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

Hey Wiley,

Thanks for being so open by sharing the things and life-issues that you go through. I can only imagine how hard it is. I do think that coming down from 110 kg to 95 kg is quite an achievement (Sorry we do kg's and metric here! ) and I understand that losing more would benefit your health.

I did read through your thread and the other one, but I'm not sure what you're asking or looking for, could you elaborate on that a little more?

Ness
TGVanessa
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Thanks for the link, Chris - very interesting stuff.

Ness and.....

I'm after a conversation, I know you do the Extreme stuff and I admire that.

Honestly, the world of Diabetes isn't something new to me, my Mom was type 2 most of her life. Yet, as I was adopted at birth I have no family background to go on.

So, I'm asking for others opinions, experiences, thoughts and advice.

The medical world has changed so much, not that long ago we had no real clue as to how to prevent a lot of things, much less treat them properly.

Diabetes is, in my opinion, a big problem especially here in the US.

Epidemic proportions problem.

One of the newest things on the market for anti-aging which also effects many other things in our bodies like diabetes symptoms is the advancement of Hormone therapy. I'd like to know people opinions about such things. It's controversial to say the least, especially in the athlete area. Outside of the athletics world what is wrong with treating or even preventing disease with hormones, even 'PEDs' (Performance Enhancing Drugs) when those hormones are proven to be 'safe'? Of course, nothing is 100% 'safe'. I'll accept that.

Our world here in the US is so crazy. I smoked for 40 years, two or more packs a day. Feb 15th of 2012 I stepped on a plane for a three day vacation to Florida. My youngest Daughter, now an RN, also smoked. She had bought us, herself and me, a so called 'e-cig' - electronic cigarette - a misnomer if there ever has been one. I've never picked up or wanted to pick up another 'analog' cigarette and do not see myself ever doing so again. The kid has been smoke free for the same time and sat down the vapor two years ago.

Yet there is so much mis-information about this product, I know many who are now 'Vape-Heads" who used to smoke. The USDA wants to regulate them, the FDA wants in, the ATF wants them stopped. Big Tobacco has wised up and actually started their own brands. The big deal seems to surround the nicotine, which is actually an additive to the juice used in these.

Yet its now available over-the-counter to get a 'nicotine' patch or 'nicotine gum' and several other smoking cessation drugs. No prescription needed, no Doctors advice, just ask the cashier for the package, pay for it, and it's yours. Chantix, another form of cessation drug, has so many warnings - "You'll quit smoking but you may want to kill yourself and/or everyone around you...." just don't cut it for me. Yet, the vapor device is what? Lets throw it out and outlaw it because its what? New? Not enough research? Hell, we've known how tobacco kills for years, and yet its still readily available in many forms.

Off the rant, for now. What I'm looking for is a conversation about others experiences with such things, opinions, thoughts, just an awareness of whats out there and available.

** I also need a good swift kick in the rear for ever stopping what I was doing a couple years back - a 'virtual' one will do.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Wiley, it sounds to me like you know what you need to do to improve your health and you just haven't found the right motivations to get back on the wagon and apply them in a serious way.

I also have a chronic condition that affects my life in a significant way. I need to manage a whole bunch of things to ensure that I don't slide into being extremely sick. Around New Years I found the motivations to get the balance right. In fact I was actively practicing all of the things I'd listed in my non-guitar New Years resolutions list. For me making a public commitment to do the right things helped me to get there, much as I imagine starting this thread may do the same for you.

I have an auto-immune condition, ulcerative colitis. I've had it for more than 35 years and I've tryied with different levels of success a bunch of different approaches. The right balance of things for me includes the following:

- minimising my stress,
- getting enough sleep,
- maintaining my medications,
- getting the right level of exercise (which also means not overdoing it),
- adopting the right mental attitude - staying positive and finding beauty and joy in the things around me and focusing on the good stuff

...and perhaps most important of all, sticking to the right diet. For me that means avoiding all grains, all sugar and starches (except fruit), all legumes and a bunch of other stuff. And putting INTO my body good quality proteins and greens, good oils, good gut bugs and other stuff that supports the formation and maintenance of a good gut environment.

About six weeks(?) ago I was doing really well and had been for about five months. I was doing all the right things and I had even managed to maintain my health even though I had come off one of my medications. One of the things that allowed me to get to that level of health and wellbeing, was adopting a diet that avoids inflammatory foods; chief amongst them glutinous foods and all sugars and starches. The trigger for me was reading a book by Amy Myers called the Autoimmune Solution and reading and listening to a bunch of her stuff and info on the paleo diet.

Did you know that diabetes is now considered to be an autoimmune condition? There are a million of them on the spectrum including eczema and autism and many mood disorders. The list is growing. If you want to get some more information and a different perspective I suggest you read The Auto Immune Solution.

www.amymyersmd.com/autoimmunesolutionbook/

As it happens, a number of factors in my life recently have resulted in me falling off the wagon and I'm out of balance again. I feel a bit like I'm hanging on to a precarious ledge and I can either focus and get myself out of the hole... Or risk the continuing vicious cycle and fall deeper. But I know what I need to do. Actually writing this makes be realise I need to get serious and make the changes I know I need to make to get back to the state of well being that I want to have.

You mention testosterone treatment. I'm wondering whether you're using statins. I'm not a doctor. But I do know there are a lot of medical professionals who now think that they are being overperscribed and can actually do harm to many people.

Thanks for starting this. And I hope you find the motivations you need to make the changes you already know you need it make to improve your health.

All the best.

Michele
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/12 01:40 By michelew.
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Michele -

Thanks for your reply, it's hard to open up like that. My hat is off to you.

One thing I have not discussed openly is we lost my Mother this past April. She had just turned 85.

Two weeks later we lost a close childhood friend whom I spent a couple of days with last October at the National BBQ championship, that he had qualified for.

One of the things the removal of the tumor a few years back did was, during the removal by microscopic means, they ended up also removing my left adrenal gland. One of the side effects is I now fall into depression easily. Never really had a problem before.

I felt two things at once, I was doing the usual 'tough guy' stuff - I BEAT DIABETES - knowing all along I had not, not really. It's chronic. Doesn't ever really go away, maybe soon that will change, not yet.

So yea, I need a 'lift' and a swift kick, hopefully I have that now.

And in all honesty, I have a fantastic bunch of folk and family who support me in every way.

I wish the best for you on your journey, and my thoughts are with you. We, both of us, have to do this, no choice.

As for the statins, nope - only thing I take for the cholesterol and triglycerides is a prescription Omega3 (fish oil) called 'Lovaza'. For now, until the blood test results come back, I am not on any meds for diabetes.

The TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) I am on is a hormone replacement, and it has been shown to help in the treatment of diabetes among many other things - energy, mood, libido, stamina. It's in the form of slow ( 6 months ) dissolving pellets that are out patient (in the Dr office) surgically placed in the buttocks. They simply deaden a small area, do a tiny incision and scoot the pellet into that and close, by bandage. Sounds worse than it is. There are other forms, injections, and an application like applying a deodorant 'bar' type system. Since one of the side effects of this, in males, is the over production of estrogen, I take a pill three times weekly. Both of these are considered safe and effective ( I can attest to the effective part). In fact, our Doctor does the same for himself and has done enough research that he claims the pellets are the only true way to do the TRT.

The HCG and Semorelin and GHRP are also hormone treatments. HCG has been around awhile, used by dieters to suppress appetite and other benefits. Semorelin and GHRP are naturally derived hormones (peptids) that trick the pituitary gland into producing Growth hormones again, the drop off in aging is a rather steep one. The data I have seen shows that at the age of 40 (I am 58) we produce somewhere around 40% of the peek at around 20 years old. All of these are done only after blood and other testing has been performed.

So keep the faith babe, it goes without saying we are all here for you.

And remember, we are all reading from the same book - were just on different pages.

You started a thread a bit back about, well...........

wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/12 00:10 By wiley.

if that one didn't hit the spot - if this one don't you need to have your pulse checked

wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Paul Thorn has great songs. That WAS really uplifting. And the message couldn't be any more true.

Listening to the second one I'm now all choked up. Thanks! Ratbag! . Great stories of courage, great and very moving song.

Thanks for the cheers and support mate. I wasn't looking for "poor Shel". But it's nice to get your support. I told my story (which may TG'ers have already heard) as support to you. I get how hard it can be to do the things you need to to keep your physical and mental health in balance. But I also know we can take the steps we need to to move us in the right direction wherever we are on the see-saw. I'm improving my diet TODAY, now. It seems that this thread was the final push I needed in the right direction so thanks for that.

I'm sorry to hear about all the things that have been making life hard for you and I wish you luck in finding the right path that will help you to conquer your diabetes; or at least keep the beast at bay.

Good luck mate.

Michele
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/12 00:38 By michelew.
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Alright, I got it, thanks.

I understand you think what I do is extreme Wiley, but honestly it's more very intense, not extreme. I think anyone trying to improve their health should find some exercise which they enjoy to perform, which is sustainable too etc. For me it's CrossFit (and before that, it was just lifting weights), for others it could be something else (btw I think you'd love it though , since the community spirit, which is more supportive than I've ever experienced elsewhere, is totally not comparable to a regular gym). Just keep moving!

But more important is of course, as Shel points out, a healthy diet. Combine the two and things should improve health wise (That's basically all I'm doing myself. ), which I think you know already.

There is no diabetes in my family at all, just none, so I can't join the conversation. Except maybe when it's about exercise and healthy food. I was the only one who didn't enjoy the food at IGC 2014 for that matter... . In any way, just wanna show my sympathy and support.

Thanks again for sharing Wiley, obviously it, for example, gave Shel the push she needed, so that's already really great!

Ness

Edit: I just wanna add that I'm really sorry for your losses Wiley....that's just really hard and sad...
TGVanessa
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/12 07:23 By TGVanessa.

Go to topPage: 1234