Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 5 Years ago  
Ness, thanks for your kind words. Hard, yet something we almost all go through. I never really 'got along' with my Mom, not until the last couple of years. It hit me a lot harder than I ever expected.

As for the Diabetes, your wrong, it does effect you, and everyone else. You do not need to be diagnosed or have a family history.

Here, in the US, it is quickly becoming an epidemic, even now its at epidemic levels. Hell Fire, it IS an epidemic. The predictions are that by 2020 - that's 5 years, that as many as in 1 in 3 US citizens will be diabetic. That adds up to 107,000,000 people. Its really sad that a huge chunk of that number are adolescent, obesity in adolescence is just one of the factors, a huge one, and unacceptable. If we keep going the same direction, it's predicted that by 2050 (35 years) the US will be on a 1:1 level. That's 160+ MILLION diabetics in the US alone!

The worldwide cost to treat is an economy breaking status. Not just the US, in today's global economy it only takes a certain economy to break down for the others to tumble.

So, it effects every last one of us, everyone!

Now for number 2, in mine and many others book - Aging.

Again, economy breaking.

Part of my post and my question surrounds longevity treatment, hormonal and/or otherwise. What are the thoughts out there? Any advice? Experiences, etc?

Our life expectancy is increasing, as are the need for "Assisted Living" centers, Home Health Care, Long Term Care centers (Nursing Home) its a huge business and is on the rise. I say nonsense - we can figure out how to life longer but how are we living that extra length out? The cost is amazing - it was $220 a DAY for my Mom in a non-private room. That's $80,000us plus annually, and that did not include a bunch of her meds, Doctor visits, and other cost. Add in just plain old 'living' cost like hairdressers, clothes, shoes, socks.....

It was $293 a day for a Private room, and my Mom was self pay. It's not hard math to figure out why and how our medical cost here have and continue to skyrocket.

I'm not talking about just flat out living longer, hell, who if I may ask, wants to live to 108 if 30 of those years are spent sitting and/or lying in a home staring blankly up at the ceiling just so our kids and grand kids can brag about how GranPa lived to be 108!

I'm talking about the treatments and research of how to life longer with BETTER. Healthier.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2015/07/12 12:23 By wiley.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I hear you Wiley. I don't mean that it doesn't effect me, just that I know little to nothing about it (since I barely know anyone with diabetes), so for that I can't share experiences, advice, feedback or knowledge and so on. That's all.
TGVanessa
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Ness,

Never meant to offend - not in my nature (usually not - I do play Poker so...)
I so appreciate your thoughts and everything you do here and otherwise.

My point, as you know, is we all need to be involved in making this a healthier world.

With two twisted vertebrae and bad knees, I'm not sure if i could handle Cross Fit. I have and plan on quickly getting back to working with kettle bells.

You doing the Cross Fit is an inspiration to me, and I'm sure many others. Keep the Faith Babe.

Here ya go....Everything gonna be alright

wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Oh absolutely non taken Wiley, I know you!

The greatest thing about CrossFit is that it can be scaled to any level for each individual person, no matter age, no matter whatever physical limitations (even people in wheelchairs do CrossFit). I also love the variety of the work outs, it's never boring for sure! In any way, getting back to working with kettle bells sounds like a good plan to me, we use them a lot actually, great pieces of equipment.

Many thanks for the song and yes, lets Keep The Faith!

wiley wrote:
Ness,

Never meant to offend - not in my nature (usually not - I do play Poker so...)
I so appreciate your thoughts and everything you do here and otherwise.

My point, as you know, is we all need to be involved in making this a healthier world.

With two twisted vertebrae and bad knees, I'm not sure if i could handle Cross Fit. I have and plan on quickly getting back to working with kettle bells.

You doing the Cross Fit is an inspiration to me, and I'm sure many others. Keep the Faith Babe.

Here ya go....Everything gonna be alright

TGVanessa
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Welcome,

Maybe you can't make any advice on Diabetes, how about the Hormone Replacement Therapy. Being in "the gym' surely you have seen some make outlandish gains in a short time.

Most in the US frown on it, somehow we relate these to the Performance Enhancing Drugs so many pro and amateur athletes are restricted from.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Hi Wiley

Sorry you're struggling with diabetes. It's my understanding that some diabetics may be good candidates for pancreatic islet cell transplants, which replace your own islet cells that may not be functioning anymore. I think at the moment they may just be doing this type of surgery for type I diabetics, since type 2 diabetes can be more of an insulin resistance issue rather than islet cell failure, but it's worth looking into.

There are so many new medical interventions on the horizon for diabetes right now just because it is such an epidemic in our country these days. Don't give up hope. Just take good care of yourself, and choose the right health care professionals to keep you informed all the time on what new treatments are available.

Ps. It's ok to sit on your butt and play the guitar. That's good for your soul. You can pick another time in the day to exercise.

Sandy
sandysue
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

sandysue wrote:
Hi Wiley

Sorry you're struggling with diabetes. It's my understanding that some diabetics may be good candidates for pancreatic islet cell transplants, which replace your own islet cells that may not be functioning anymore. I think at the moment they may just be doing this type of surgery for type I diabetics, since type 2 diabetes can be more of an insulin resistance issue rather than islet cell failure, but it's worth looking into.

There are so many new medical interventions on the horizon for diabetes right now just because it is such an epidemic in our country these days. Don't give up hope. Just take good care of yourself, and choose the right health care professionals to keep you informed all the time on what new treatments are available.

Ps. It's ok to sit on your butt and play the guitar. That's good for your soul. You can pick another time in the day to exercise.

Sandy

You are right Sandy, about the cell transplants for diabetic type 1. I'm hoping they get it operational soon.

My son is a diabetic type 1. We only found out, or better said, it appeared around, his 11 th birthday where he could stretch not taking any meds for some time after that, they call it " the marriage pre fase" weird eh? But his system worked for 65% and went down as time went by. Now at the age of 18 he is taking insulin shots to prevent him slip into a coma. Day in, day out.
Wiley I fully agree with you being worried, I say it's like "the sword of Damocles" you never know fully when it might hit you.

Diabetes in this form doesn't run in my family and his diabetic team that especially work with children aren't really into experiments like hormones etc. so I'm sorry I cant help you there. I can only relate and tell you about my worries as a mom, as a bystander. And I don't know if that helps on the subject.

I agree with what the team here tell us to do, and that's let the kid be a kid and please let him enjoy life as much as possible without restricting him too much.
That means he can eat whatever he wants, within normal proportions but...he needs to be aware of the ingredients and the amount of insulin he needs to take after eating. The thing is with teenagers, they like to experience and fall down on their own, and try out and search for their boundaries and as parents we can only guide them and advice them, but...by forcing them to do or not do, we end up chasing them away or taking a road that leads to nowhere, so it's a thin line which Im not willing to cross every day. And we all have been or still are a bit like that challenging teenager right? So we know the feelings.

Of course they recommend a work out or what ever makes you get up from your chair. So, here's where the dog entered the family...Guess who had to walk it after some months? ......Right!

Now what I would really like to tell you, diabetes is a threat, but...dont let it spoil your life... Make sure to enjoy it when possible and to appreciate the good times. Even with this $#&YT(*&!! diabetes. Make the best of it Wiley, sing a song, play the guitar and kiss your wife, kids and grandchildren as often as you can.

Life is worth living
Corina.
crieniecat
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Female crieniecat Location: The Netherlands Birthday: 12/30

Hi Corina

I didn't realize that your son has diabetes. He looks very healthy so he must be very stabilized on his insulin regimen. He may be the perfect candidate for the islet cell transplant. That would be awesome. It's my understanding that type 1 diabetes is not genetic, but can develop after a flu syndrome or after having the mumps. I don't think we really know yet what causes it. Type 2 diabetes, also known as adult onset diabetes, does have a genetic link, and can also be associated with obesity.

We always want our kids to be happy and healthy. As parents, we feel so bad when we see our children having to face any kind of adversity. Of course kids never want to cooperate and take good care of themselves, so you have to worry for them. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things and you have the support of a good medical team. your son sounds like he is in good hands. I wish him the best.

Wiley

We don't want our friends or loved ones to suffer either so listen to Corina, because she has a lot of experience with diabetes, and please take care of yourself. Type 2 diabetes can be very well controlled so that you can live a long healthy life

Sandy
sandysue
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/13 18:16 By sandysue.

Thanks Sandy, you're a sweetheart!
You've met him at last years camp, yes he looks healthy but his insulin regimen is a mess! He's doing better now though, we take it step by step.
He's been feeling as if his whole body has been working against him. First diabetes than open heart surgery at the age of 14...so every control from the doctors feels like judgement day to him, it is never simply "OK"
I dont judge him though, I support him as much as possible and gently guide him where I can and where he let's me. Like I said, giving commands works the opposite way so... He'll be fine. No smoker, no drugs, no huge parties, good friends and a gentle character, so I must say I'm blessed with the young man he's becoming.

Now Wiley, listen to Sandy! (yes gentle but sweet command lol) She's been a nurse all of her life, she knows what she's talking about.
Even better reason...WE CARE!!

Corina.
crieniecat
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Female crieniecat Location: The Netherlands Birthday: 12/30
Last Edit: 2015/07/14 14:06 By crieniecat.

Corina, i admire the courage you and your Son both share, not easy dealing with this.

I'm not sure as I look back why I started this thread, I do know it was partly to start a conversation about Diabetes and Aging. I was most likely mad, at myself.

I had it, had it by the ......whatever........ off the meds, Blood Sugar and A1cs in not just good numbers, but real good. Loosing weight, feeling better than I had in years and then, well.....

And here I am, again, no reason, no excuse, no nothing. Stupid - Plain Old Stupid.

And here I am again, this time more determined than the last. It ain't a game, it ain't gonna go away on it's own, in fact if I lay around long enough it will kill me.
It will start off by taking out and then off body parts, eyesight, and so on.

Thanks to everyone of you who posted, and I will heed the advice.

I started back to walking last Monday, did the checkup on Wednesday last week and the first HCG injection last Friday. So far, so good. No test results back yet, it will be later next week before they are in. But from 210lbs down to 205.6lbs this morning. Glucose levels started at 247 fasting on last Monday, down this morning to 174 fasting, 157 last night before bed.

And I should be mad at you guys. You know that new guitar I have ordered, I had a B-Band A2.2 pickup system put in, that's a dual system, a normal under saddle piezo and a bridge plate transducer. So, I will most likely need a two channel preamp as there are no onboard preamps. And/or a mixer as my PA system is only two channel - one guitar/low and/or one mic.

Instead I went out and bought a nice bicycle. Not one of those 'big-box store' type, more like one of those local bike shop types.

Again, thanks - 50 days out.

*Our youngest Daughter has been an LVN for 11 years, working with MHMR and now Geriatric patients. She recently graduated and earned her RN license. You oughta here the things she tells me - can't repeat 'em here!
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/14 17:56 By wiley.

Go to topPage: 1234