Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 5 Years ago  
Wiley,

That is EXCELLENT news. Good for you buddy. You know you can do it. Keep us posted on how you're progressing.

Corina - I'm sorry you and your son are having to deal with diabetes. Chronic conditions SUCK!!!

It sounds to me like you're doing everything you can as a mum, which at the end of the day is never as much as we'd like to do to keep our kids safe and healthy.

You can't do it for him. He needs to work out his own balance of things, the things that allow him to sustain his health while still being the person he is. At some point, he'll work out that lots of things are just not worth the feeling sick and crappy that comes afterwards. He's likely to work it out by trial and error to some extent over time.

His motivations to improve his health may end up being thst he's sick of not being able to keep up with his mates because he doesn't have the energy or it might be love... Who knows. But, only he can really do all the things he needs to do to maintain his health and he's going to do stupid things along the way.

I feel for you and hope that he also finds a way to manage his diabetes that's sustainable for him.

All the best.

M
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

wiley wrote:

And here I am again, this time more determined than the last. It ain't a game, it ain't gonna go away on it's own, in fact if I lay around long enough it will kill me.
It will start off by taking out and then off body parts, eyesight, and so on.

Firstly Willey, sorry to hear you are struggling with your diabetes. I am probably in your age bracket and would hate to be going through what you are.

I am not from a medical background, but I read a lot and I have made and watched a lot of medical/health documentaries in the past.

This should be your incentive Willey. People who don't look after their diabetes lose limbs and maybe a little known fact is, that diabetics who do lose a limb, have a life expectancy of about five years on average. I was told this by a journalist (so must be true )
Now if that doesn't scare you then nothing will.

I was playing 5 a side football tonight with a guy who is under 30 and has diabetes. He was born with it. Is this type 1? I have spoken to him about his disease, in fact I only discovered he had it recently as he is super fit!
He says he has no choice but to look after himself or suffer the consequences. He is smart, doing well in his job and is enjoying life. You have more chance of dealing with your own diabetes. All you have to do is knuckle down,
lose some weight and get fit. How badly do you want to live? The prize is you stay healthy and don't suffer any of the above. So what are you waiting for.....THIS LIFE IS NOT A REHEARSAL!!! Set some short and long term goals and just do it!!!

One other thing, the hormone treatment, this is heavy stuff, I know these days it is rife in gyms to use this stuff. Liver damage by it's overuse and sticky heart problems are a couple of the side effects. Arnold Schwartzenneger had a quadruple bi-pass
because of this I believe. When you take these hormones your own production of testosterone shuts down, so if you come on and off these meds your weight will fluctuate, not good in your case. Anyway who takes actors to be their role models for
health guidance, that's just so ridiculous.

I hope I didn't sugar coat this too much for you Willey. (no pun intended) Anything I have said here is to encourage you to banish this problem out of your life for good. So get on your bike!!

Good luck!

Tom N.
tombo1230
My new guitar
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Renfrew, Scotland, UK. Birthday: 12/27
Last Edit: 2015/07/14 19:42 By tombo1230.
“So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I’d try it too.”
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Wiley, Shel, thanks, you guys are great....

I hope you know I didn't tell all this to put my son and I in the spotlights...Not at all!
We're doing great! I love him to bits, same as my other children and I am certainly not in a worried state of mind.
Quite the opposite. He'll find his way, like you guys will find your way.

I just wanted to show the side of diabetes, from my point of view and what thoughts and things come to mind as for being a bystander.
To show a different light on the subject

You know what to do Wiley, in fact you're doing it!
Chapeau!! Keep the spirit up my friend, and I'll see you soon

Corina
crieniecat
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Female crieniecat Location: The Netherlands Birthday: 12/30

Tom, thanks for your insight and response.

Yes, that's type 1- also known as 'childhood' diabetes as most who are diagnosed type are born with it.

We have a good friend, she has worked both with and for the wife for years. Her first husband was some kind of a genius dude, he was accepted to Cambridge, on scholarship, and the two ended up in Brazil, his birthplace.

Paige is not only highly intelligent, she's a 'knockout'. After leaving Brazil she came back to the US sick. She had, somehow, contacted a disease which ended up making her type 1. She wears a 'pump' 24/7. Her body no longer produces any insulin. She has actually had a child since contracting type1, who is healthy as she was and still is. *Crystal Bowersox of American Idol fame is type 1.

I don't really know what a 'typical' diabetic looks like. I don't think there is such an animal. When I tell people, even family I haven't seen in years, that I'm type 2 they look at e like I just fell on my face, disbelief. I even had an Aunt claim - "You're kidding me, you ain't fat!". So there is a 'stereotype' of type 2 folks. And for good reason, law of averages.

Same can be said for 'hormone replacement'. Here in the US especially, any type of drug like these are considered 'taboo' due to Pro Sports and the PED ban. We look at these, due to the media and other things, as 'Arnold's' or 'Stallone's' and their abuse of anabolic steroids. Notice I said 'abuse', there are applications and AAS are used to treat various problems and yes, they have adverse effects. Mental and Physical.

Testosterone Replacement Therapy has been around awhile, and yes, it is an AAS. In my case, I had an adrenal gland removed as it was attached to by a large tumor. And my blood work is checked on a regular basis. The type of treatment, the surgically inserted long term pellets are in my Doctors research, the closest there is to a 'natural' substance. I also take a medication that relieves one of the known adverse reactions, the over production of Estrogen in males. First time I did these I was down to 208lbs. Continuing on the same workout pattern and diet, in two weeks I was back up to 215.

As for the HCG and Semorelin/GHRP-6and/or 2 hormones, these are 'peptides' and as such,

From Wiki;

The pharmacodynamics of anabolic steroids are unlike peptide hormones. Water-soluble peptide hormones cannot penetrate the fatty cell membrane and only indirectly affect the nucleus of target cells through their interaction with the cell’s surface receptors. However, as fat-soluble hormones, anabolic steroids are membrane-permeable and influence the nucleus of cells by direct action.

Thanks a million for your concern and for the response.

Corina - 7 weeks kiddo. 49 days!
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

So, it's been three weeks since the first post.

33 days to get ready for IGC!!

Doctor visit/follow through was this last Wednesday, the 29th. Some good news, some bad. Yep, my A1c checked at 10.6 – way up, ‘normal’ is under 7, anything above is considered diabetic. Blood sugar at three weeks before on the day of the physical was 254, normal would be 80>120. Blood pressure was fine, not perfect but well within range.

Cholesterol wasn’t as bad as expected;
Total = 203, range is <200
HDL = 37, range is >50
LDL = 71, range is <130

Triglycerides, which has been my downfall forever, are again outrageous @637, range is <150

My PSA, a blood screen that looks for signs of cancer, was within the bottom %15 of men my age.
Bottom 2% of men my age for cardiopulmonary.

Several other test, enzymes, hormone, vitamin deficiencies, and so on showed normal in all but ferritin, sodium, and vitamin D.

Small chance of blockage on the right ventricle, respiration was a bit low as was pulmonary. Heart age was 64 – I’m 58.
Yet I'm in the bottom 2% of men my age for cardiopulmonary problems.

I did great on the VO2max – a stress test performed with the breathing mask and ECG, a lot better than expected by the Doctor, the technician and myself. I was at 95%, target was 80%.

Upper body strength needs work. Lots of work.

BMI (Body Mass Index) is 30.1 – optimal is 19>25
Body fat is 28.8%. That means my body, out of 210 lbs is 111.3lbs of water, 39.5lbs of minerals and proteins and a whopping 59.2lbs of FAT!

Overall 'fitness' marker, which on a scale of 1>100 and a 'perceived' marker of 25, came in at 58.

So, about what I expected and in someways, a lot better.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

I split this into three parts, some may care about the technical stuff, some may not. Some may care more about what and how I'm doing three weeks later, some may not give a rat's arse about any of it. And I'm fine with that.

I am now on a regime of vitamins, and back on Metformin HCI (a well known and widely used diabetic drug), Lovaza (a pharmaceutical grade Omega3 (Fish Oil)) which had been 2000iu perday and is now 2000 twice daily. Double the vitamin D3 to 10,000iu from 5,000.

Protein bars and shakes, proper diet meaning 'low' carb - way low, and plenty of fruits and veggies. Small portions, several times a day instead of three BIG meals. We do still eat 'dinner' (the evening meal) yet it's now a salad and some sort of a small portion of protein like beef, pork, chicken and a lot of 'cold water' fish. No added salt, and damn sure no sugars - either kind, the fake stuff or the real.

Daily workouts;

Up at around 5:30am - check Glucose, which is coming down, this morning it was at 108 and has been below 120 for the last four days and nights. Not there yet, should be around 100 yet a hell of a lot better.
Prepare injections if need be, make some coffee - black and strong - and get dressed for the bike ride. Yep, I got me some of them padded in the right places bicycle rider undies.

Out the door and a minimum 1 mile brisk walk.

Back to the house, get the equipment on for the ride (Helmet and gloves, water bottle, etc) get the bikes out and ride

We usually get in 4.5 > 5 miles in together, then I ride at least 10 miles and/or and hour. My first ride was at a whopping 45 minutes at an average of 8.7 MPH. I'm up to an average even after riding with the wife of 10.7MPH. Top circuit has been 12.8mph avg.

We are lucky enough to live where there are some up grades of say, 7 degree and some down grades so the ride can be part glide and rest and part hump it up the hill.

After a quick break I began this last Monday with the Kettle Bells, doing 12lbs at 8 exercises with 8reps, 3 times. Couple years ago I had at one time been doing 15reps, 4x with a max bell of 30 lbs. Those were the days.

Monday before last I began finishing the morning routine on the "AB Rocker" we have. Still do.

Cool down and shower - it's hot here even that early!

Evening routine - usually simple enough - at a minimum of an hour or so after eating and as late as possible due to the heat yet enough light left, we ride around 4>5 miles.

Check Glucose - it was 88 last night! Then the night time injection (Semorelin) and protein shake.

Rinse and repeat.

Results;

I'm down this morning to 202.6 lbs. Not that much, not bad for three weeks either.

I do know this, something is happening. I may not have lost all that much weight - my target is 185 for myself even though the documentation says I should be 165.

Yet my old pants (36x32) slide off my butt, fall off really. The next size down (34x32) fit, well, loose. In fact I somehow pulled on a pair of 32s last night. At 20 years old, when we married, I wore 30s.

Donna is two sizes down.

I feel great, my only other concern for now is getting that good night sleep for a solid 8 hours. One of the symptoms of Diabetes is frequent urination. It wasn't unusual for me to get up three times in a night. Last several nights have been once, usually early in the morning like 2am and twice without once. Getting close and I'm back to a lot of REM - wild, wicked, vivid dreaming. I was on a yacht last night with Michael Jordan and Britney Spears (weird combo ain't it?). Everyone's clothes stayed on so.....
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Great update Wiley. Keep it up man, you're a Rock Star!!!!
familyman4
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Keep up the hard work, Wiley. You are getting there.
Music Junkie
It's old but it's good........
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male music.junkie27 Location: Ventura, CA Birthday: 01/27
It's better to burn out than it is to rust...... (Neil Young)

Last part.

My testosterone levels are up, like a man of 50 or so and climbing (or, better put, getting to the younger levels). I began two plus years ago at the 'age' levels of around 65 ( I was, at the time, 56).

My estrogen (a by-product of the therapy) were low. I have been taking an estrogen blocker three times weekly, now at once weekly.

We do the HCG three times a week, every other day actually. I will say this - it works. Maybe it's in the mind, maybe not. I can say I find having to remind myself to eat something. And now, instead of hitting the pantry and grabbing (craving) a handful of Frito chips or a sweet treat, I hit the fridge and grab some grapes, watermelon, strawberries or blue berries. I love to prepare salads for dinner and usually make enough for my lunch the next day. A few slices of last nights Salmon awaits me to throw on there today, and I usually have some sort of a protein like ham or turkey to add to the salad. No salt and no sugar. Dressing is usually a homemade salsa or a no fat/sugar/sodium vinegrette.

Now - As for the "Semorelin" - our Doctor calls the stuff "A gym in a syringe" and I can say only, so far, that it seems to do as promised. Our bodies are changing. Not so much in dropping the weight, but in the make up. 7-1/2 pounds in three weeks is not that 'crazy' like so many diets brag. Yet I don't feel the water loss like I have on other diets. And that's usually what is happening when those big 'beginning' weight losses happen. And I know my recovery time is real good, never been before. Not this quickly. Yet dropping two sizes, which both of us have done, is paramount.

The HCG and Semorelin are supposed to keep more muscle on as the weight drops, in fact with the Semorelin the intent is to build muscle. Each morning I start our ride going up the hill, and each morning I find I can use a 'higher' (harder to pedal) gear on the bike and keep it in that gear longer. Same as for the rest of the ride and the kettle bells.

Now please don't take me wrong, its not as simple as injecting a few shots a week. It still takes the gym time, the nutrition,the life style changes and the effort. I will tell you this, the object for myself is to fight and manage my diabetes, and if something out there can aid me in that, I'm all for it (as long as there are no adverse effects). I also know, from experience, that if I'm not fit I lean towards depression, no focus, no drive. Playing Poker is as the same for Guitar, they take focus. Being fit leans towards much more focus, as does so much of our life.

Three weeks in and I feel 'renewed' and plan on getting even more so.

Here's hoping everyone else is doing the same, my best to all of you and we'll 'see' each other in real time sooner than the blink of an eye.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/07/31 12:18 By wiley.

Wiley- I'm very late to this party but I know exactly what you're dealing with. I've had type II diabetes since I was first diagnosed in 1994. You and I have talked about this so it isn't any big shock.

About three months ago I got my blood work done and my A1c had risen from 7.0 to 11.4. That is just awful (6-7 is normal). I went to the eye doctor and he told me flat out that at 11.4 I was going to go blind in the next few years. Since I am no Doc Watson or Jose Feliciano, that was not good news. So I wanted to do something radical. Not as radical as gastric bypass surgery but something I could afford.

So I did a ton of research (can't help it, I'm an engineer!! LOL!). And I kept coming back to a low carb diet. There are many names for it; Paleo, Adkins, LCHF, Ketogenic and on and on. The Swedes have had great success with Low Carb/High Fat diets. Being over half Swedish I figured why not?

So I went from eating 600-800 net grams of carbs per day to less than 50 and most days around 30. That is a huge decrease in carbs and thus calories. The goal being to force your body to give up on fast energy carbs and start burning slow energy fat the way humans were made to do. High carbs didn't enter the human diet until farming allowed grains to be grown easily. And carbs are much cheaper than protein or fat.

The results were nothing short of amazing. My A1c dropped right back to 7.2 and with that my eye pressures dropped from 24 to 16. And I've lost almost 50 pounds. Not the same Bear I used to be. And the best part is I'm never hungry. You eat when you are hungry not by the clock.

If I was half as smart as I thought I was I needed to come the conclusion that I am addicted to carbohydrates. I suggest that any person with a large belly has carb "issues". But I am an addict. There has never been a piece of bread, a potato, pasta or rice that I don't love. I used to order extra rice with my Chinese food. Now I order no rice. Rice is a trigger food for me.

I'd like to tell you it's so easy but it isn't. Cutting out carbs totally has been difficult but gets easier daily. I used to care how I looked now I don't give a damn. I'm eating to live, not living to eat. I've dropped four pants sizes (8") and almost two shirt sizes.

So I'm right there with you my friend. I am discussing this here not because it isn't personal. It is. But if one person can find some hope in what I've done I would be delighted. I wish you the very best success in your journey and if anyone wants more information on what or how I've done this please PM and I will help anyway I can. Trust me, it's worth it.

Good luck buddy! Keep strumming!!!
BigBear
In-a -gadda-da-vida baby!!
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
“Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not be separated from the man”
- Andre Segovia

Go to topPage: 1234