Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 5 Years ago  
Wiley and Bear, many thanks for sharing your stories. I'm very impressed how both of you are/have been changing things radically in order to improve your health. I understand that it's certainly not easy.

And Wiley, gosh that's some exercise regime, no wonder it's paying of!

In any way, just wanted to show my support. Keep going guys and yeah, keep strumming!

Ness
TGVanessa
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2015/07/31 17:28 By TGVanessa.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Well done both of you. Looks like you are both on your way. Just stay focussed and work hard and the synergy of working out, eating correctly and keeping away from sugar will keep you healthy!!!

Tom N.
tombo1230
My new guitar
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Renfrew, Scotland, UK. Birthday: 12/27
“So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I’d try it too.”
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Wiley and Bear,

Fantastic progress. Good on you both.

BTW - that's the same diet I follow. Well actually one that has additional restrictions (auto-immune solution). It's true that it's not always easy to keep on it, but it makes an enormous difference to my health.

Best wishes to you both.

M
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/08/01 02:45 By michelew.
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Thanks so much Shel!!!
BigBear
In-a -gadda-da-vida baby!!
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
“Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not be separated from the man”
- Andre Segovia

Monday - August 3rd, 2015 - 6:15am - CST = 200.8 lbs.
Glucose test 'fasting' = 110, yesterdays was 98
Morning bike ride - 1:00:46 = 11.00 miles

Thanks for the support everyone.

Rick, good on ya bud, real good. You and I have talked about this and I know of your struggle. Your not alone, that's for sure. One particular lady who heads up the wife's "health and preventive health" department is type 2. Has been for many years, we have talked on several occasions and she too has struggled with her glucose levels. She was really obese at one time, almost 400lbs at 5'5". She's done the by-pass gastro surgery, helped, and many, many diets. She is one that had a lot to do with us trying the HCG, it worked (works) miracles for her, she now has an A1c of 7.2 - down from the norm for her of around +/-10 for years.

If I could, I'd kick myself upside the head, I had it man, had it. I don't believe anyone can 'control' this disease, never have liked that word. Yet one (most) can 'manage' it, better yet, manage the symptoms and the results that, left untreated, can cause many things, even death.

And it's at epidemic levels here in the US. The Doc and I talked about a lot of things, and got on to the fact of how I quit smoking after 40 years. Simply put, I vape, most of you know that. The worst thing they ever did in that market was call the devices 'electronic cigarettes' which leads to the thought they are the same yet different from the 'analog' cigarettes. They produce NO 'smoke' - its a water vapor. The big controversy about the nicotine - it's an additive! IOW - an option. The 'flavoring' may/may not contain harmful things - again, they are an option - an additive. There are several other things that are being mislead about these devices to the public. Probably the biggest, in the FDA's latest report - was how they have not been proven as to 'Smoking Cessation". We don't want them to be, that opens doors we don't want to open. Yet, I can, at any given moment give you at least ten ex-smokers that I, myself, have gotten on the Vape and they quit, a couple of them the same as I was, long time and high (2+ packs a day) smokers.

The conversation then turned to the fact there are over 300 'chemicals/additives' that Big Tobacco has added down through the years to cause addiction, let alone the nicotine. The Doc's point was - check out the 'Fast Food' folks, hell even the beef/pork/chicken and farmers and the stuff that has been 'added' both pre and post to do the same. Nobody seems to talk abut the DNA changes in beef that makes the cattle grow faster, leaner, etc and what that as done to the end consumer.

If none of you have done so, go eat lunch at your kids/grand kids public school, never seen so much Pizza and so many 'hot-dogs' hit the trash can. And these are 1st > 4th grade kids!
None of my Grand Children like to eat the school lunches, and neither does our Daughter who teaches 1st grade nor does her husband who is the head of the English Department and the Assistant Varsity Tennis coach. So many of our Children and Grand Children are becoming more and more obese - and not just because of sitting around and playing video games and watching too much TV. It's said that 7 year olds can't have muscularity - I got news for ya, you need to meet my 7 year old Grand Son, kids got a 6 pack on him! Of course he doesn't hold still even when he's asleep!

So, good job Rick, keep it up. Gonna miss ya this year my friend. And Michelle - keep the faith. Ness, I admire the workout regime you do, maybe someday, maybe.

Tom and everyone else, thanks for the support.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/08/03 10:29 By wiley.

michelew wrote:
I have an auto-immune condition, ulcerative colitis. I've had it for more than 35 years and I've tryied with different levels of success a bunch of different approaches. The right balance of things for me includes the following:

- minimising my stress,
- getting enough sleep,
- maintaining my medications,
- getting the right level of exercise (which also means not overdoing it),
- adopting the right mental attitude - staying positive and finding beauty and joy in the things around me and focusing on the good stuff

...and perhaps most important of all, sticking to the right diet. For me that means avoiding all grains, all sugar and starches (except fruit), all legumes and a bunch of other stuff. And putting INTO my body good quality proteins and greens, good oils, good gut bugs and other stuff that supports the formation and maintenance of a good gut environment.

About six weeks(?) ago I was doing really well and had been for about five months. I was doing all the right things and I had even managed to maintain my health even though I had come off one of my medications. One of the things that allowed me to get to that level of health and wellbeing, was adopting a diet that avoids inflammatory foods; chief amongst them glutinous foods and all sugars and starches. The trigger for me was reading a book by Amy Myers called the Autoimmune Solution and reading and listening to a bunch of her stuff and info on the paleo diet.

Did you know that diabetes is now considered to be an autoimmune condition? There are a million of them on the spectrum including eczema and autism and many mood disorders. The list is growing. If you want to get some more information and a different perspective I suggest you read The Auto Immune Solution.

www.amymyersmd.com/autoimmunesolutionbook/

Michele

Shel:

Thanks for posting this link. My mother has ulcerative colitis, and it is something really awful...

She struggles with it daily, and has to be VERY careful of what she eats, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, she needs to remove stress from her life. That is something she has struggled with her entire life.

I am going to pass this book on to her right away. Are there any others you have found to be helpful?

Thanks again!

Jason
Music Junkie
It's old but it's good........
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male music.junkie27 Location: Ventura, CA Birthday: 01/27
It's better to burn out than it is to rust...... (Neil Young)

Hi Jason,

I hope your mum finds it helpful. She might find it a bit radical at first. I suggest she just absorbs the info and implements it as best she can, she can then improve it as she gets used to eliminating certain foods that she was still eating.

Years ago, I was on the specific carbohydrate diet for a long time and it worked well too. It's very similar to the autoimmune solution, but restricts less things. It's really worth a read too.

www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

The trick with all of this is being organised, keeping the right foods in the fridge and pantry and knowing what you can eat when you're out of the house (and finding it of course). Unfortunately, there's lots of hidden wheat, sugar, soy and other grains in so many foods.

All the best for your mum.

I'm happy to asnwer any questions she has. If you PM me I'll give you my email.

Talk to you later.

Shel
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 4 Years, 10 Months ago  
I really never did the things I need to do at camp, exercise was limited to walking back and forth from one place to the other (my own fault), tried my best to stick largely with salad and a bit of protein. Thanks Paul for talking with me and for looking over my shoulder and budging my elbow from time to time, much appreciated and needed.

Didn't do any better in Vegas really (meal wise), not what I would have done in the past but not up to 'par' as of late.

Somehow or another I gained only 1.8lbs during those ten days, and that is already gone. I weighed in the Monday morning before leaving at 192.9 - this morning I'm at 192.1.

I also did a home test for A1C before leaving - last test in mid June was 10.6, this one was 6.3. Only hoping it's fairly correct.

BMI is now at 27.4, target is 25 and below. Began at 30.

So, back to work.
wiley
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Diabetes, weight loss, and just plain being stupid 4 Years, 10 Months ago  
Wiley- that's a great A1c my friend. Great job. It seems to me the whole key to this thing is not to overdo anything. If you fall off the horse you just get back on. No harm done. If you are cutting carbs you must increase your fat intake. Your body must feed on something and carbs are too fast burning and screw up our blood sugars.

Good luck with your progress. You are my hero!
BigBear
In-a -gadda-da-vida baby!!
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
“Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not be separated from the man”
- Andre Segovia

Go to topPage: 1234